Blog Archive

Remembrance




Remembrance



Re*mem"brance\ (-brans), n. [OF. remembrance.]
1. The act of remembering; a holding in mind, or bringing to mind; recollection.
2. The state of being remembered, or held in mind; memory; recollection.
3. Something remembered; a person or thing kept in memory.
4. That which serves to keep in or bring to mind; a memorial; a token; a memento; a souvenir; a memorandum or note of something to be remembered.
5. Something to be remembered; counsel; admonition; instruction.
6. Power of remembering; reach of personal knowledge; period over which one's memory extends.



(syn.: See Memory)



Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.












"I know not why there is such a melancholy feeling attached to the




remembrance of past happiness, except that we fear that the future can




have nothing so bright as the past."



(Julia Ward Howe)














I Don't Know If You're Alive Or Dead

I don't know if you're alive or dead.
Can you on earth be sought,
Or only when the sunsets fade
Be mourned serenely in my thought?

All is for you: the daily prayer,
The sleepless heat at night,
And of my verses, the white
Flock, and of my eyes, the blue fire.

No-one was more cherished, no-one tortured
Me more, not
Even the one who betrayed me to torture,
Not even the one who caressed me and forgot.


Anna Akhmatova